By Joe Odaby
South Sudan News
Juba — February 27 … Patients in South Sudan have been shot to death in their hospital beds and medical facilities have been looted and burned to the ground by anti-government forces.
Doctors Without Borders announced that they have to re-examine their operations in the country.
Doctors Without Borders states that the extreme violence and lack of respect for health care workers, shown by rebels opposing South Sudan’s government has made Doctors Without Borders’ work almost impossible.
Members of the humanitarian aid group discovered at least 14 dead bodies in a hospital in the contested city of Malakal over the weekend, said the statement. Several of the dead bodies had been shot while lying in their beds, the aid group said. Rebels have been fighting government forces for control of the city, the capital of an oil-producing state.
In addition, Doctors Without Borders’ facilities in the towns of Leer and Bentiu have been looted and completely destroyed, said the group’s leader in South Sudan Raphael Gorgeu. He said Doctors Without Borders does not want to leave South Sudan but must look at the safety of its workers.
Gorgeu told the South Sudan News that his medical aid group does not want to pull out of South Sudan, where 800,000 people are displaced and 3.2 million in immediate need of food due to fighting that broke out in mid-December. Thousands have died in the violence.
At the end of January thousands of residents fled as fighting broke out in Leer, the home town of rebel leader and former South Sudan Vice President Riek Machar.
Doctors Without Borders has worked in Leer for 25 years, evacuated staff while 240 others fled into the bush. They returned this week to find their hospital — a facility that served 300,000 people — destroyed.