South Sudan Defense Minister John Kong Nyuon
By SSN Staff
Khartoum, according to South Sudan’s Defense Minister John Kong Nyuon, is using mercenaries to destabilize the new country, which separated from Sudan in July 2011.
According to the Sudan Tribune, Mr. Nyuon made these remarks at a meeting with Norwegian defence minister Anne-Grete Strøm-Erichsen, during which he accused Sudan of failing to implement the bilateral Cooperation Agreement signed in September last year.
Nyuon said that Khartoum is looking for a way to blackmailing the international community from pressing for the implementation of the agreement.
“Khartoum’s claims that we provide support to the rebels fighting them are not true”, Nyuon said.
“It is actually the government of Sudan which provides all kind of supports to militia groups they want to destabilize this country. These are not just allegations. We are holding evidence”, he added.
Three well armed militia groups, the defense minister revealed, have crossed from Sudan into South Sudan’s Unity and Upper Nile states with heavy weapons.
He said the groups that accepted the amnesty offered by president Salva Kiir, “admitted they were trained and armed by the government of Sudan”.
“Some are here with us. You ask them”, Nyuon told Norwegian defense minister during a meeting at the army headquarters in Juba on Sunday.
“Our interest is to see our neighbors including the Republic of Sudan live in peace. We want to live as good neighbors so that our people benefit from the mutual cooperation and promote build two viable states living side by side in peace and harmony”, he stressed.
Minister Nyuon further added that his country had fully implemented the cooperation agreement and the implementation matrix as it was agreed by the two parties and that they were expecting Sudan to do the same.
“It is the other side, which is not showing commitment and honor their promises. On our side, we have fully implemented and everybody knows this. It was done in a transparent manner. The international and local media were accorded the opportunity to go to the areas where we withdrew”, he said, adding that South Sudan had completely withdrawn its forces from the buffer zone as per the agreement.